Thursday, May 17, 2012

My house smells like cheerios

Yesterday I finally started to pack.  D had gone to the grocery store to find uniform boxes:  none of that liquor store jumble for us.  I went through the bookshelves and tchotchkes and stacked up photos and music and art, trying my best to pack in an organized fashion, but not make it too heavy to carry up the attic stairs.


I took the duct tape (has anyone ever used duct tape for taping ducts?) and the large marker.  I sealed and labeled:  "K's books, NF"  "D's photos."  "K's letters."  "Monmouth memorabilia."  (Why did Mom have to start sending me the high school essays and tassels?  And the baby book with one page filled in?  And the baby bonnet?  And every, I swear, letter I wrote home from college?)

The whole time, I was haunted by an indefinable, not unpleasant, sweet/nutty odor.  While I packed, I puzzled over it....paper usually smells of must or dust or something old.  Not of food.

Today D went out for more boxes.  He dropped an armload in the entry and I was overwhelmed by that odor.  I looked at the boxes and saw the labels:  cheerios, rice krispies, corn flakes.  And I figured it out.  Duh.

An unexpected 
Off-shoot of packing: my house
Smells of cereal.






No comments:

Post a Comment