Sunday, December 1, 2013

Travel kvetch

Traveling is so different now.  I don't really care when I get there, so the lines are not the issue.  What is the issue?  The quality of the wait.  I could swear everyone is a little grubbier, amenities are less amenable.  You pay for every little thing (fortunately not bathrooms. Yet.) My fellow passengers are  more Greyhound, less Orient Express.  The PA features a friendly male voice asking us to help the police officers keep us safe by reporting suspicious things.

What is suspicious?  The plastic bottle under my chair?  The bags?

However, I'm engaging in the usual rosy-tinted nostalgia.  Travel was ever problematic.  I remember on my first flight to Europe, I huddled under a blanket, trying to escape the cigarette smoke.  So, some things have improved in the last 30 years.  And, some things have stayed the same.  For example, on my way to PDX, I sent this message into the ether:  "As per usual, the Denver airport's evil spirits are alive and kicking! Flight delayed, no place to sit, echoing grayness. I have never gotten through this airport without some hitch."

Still, I'm going to look into train travel on my next trip.  Pooh on this airplane stuff.  And I mean it!

No comments:

Post a Comment