Sunday, September 9, 2018

Summary of my first few weeks at Ghost Ranch

This is a letter I sent shortly after I arrived at the ranch:

Sorry about the phone problem:  it basically doesn't work on the Ranch.  We're in a total dead zone, but fortunately we do have wi-fi, so maybe we can try another Skype session sometime!  I'm working a variable shift, depending on what is happening here.  For example, next week is the BlueGrass festival:  a week of people learning how to play bluegrass banjo, fiddle, guitar, and a few other instruments.  They end with a coffee hour on Friday and a concert on Saturday, so I'm going to work Mon-Sat, with Tues off to keep me from going overtime (they don't like overtime) and the following week I'll work Sun-Thu and take a long weekend for my birthday.
All this means that you won't be able to reach me until I leave the Ranch on my days off.
I was insomniac on Sunday night.  Don't know why, it wasn't a mental thing. I was quite content, staying at P's house and starting to retrieve my things from G's condo.  He wants me out of his hair, although he says there's no rush.  But his girlfriend is apparently threatened by strong female friendships, so it's time to move out physically as well as emotionally.

Maybe I was thinking about that, unconsciously? Anyway, I woke up every hour on the hour from 9 pm to 3 am, at which point I threw in the towel and got up. I had planned to get up around 5:30 so I could get to GR by 8 am breakfast, and that's basically what I did.  I took a shower, started loading the car, and then chatted with P when she got up:  she goes in to work at 5:30 too.  Unfortunately the oil light came on 2 minutes into the drive, so I had to stop by a gas station for oil and help.  That added some time to the trip.  And then I became so drowsy that I was literally weaving into the oncoming lanes.  So, after Santa Fe I pulled to the side and napped for half an hour.  I got to breakfast about 8:45.  The nap helped,  as well as another half hour at lunch, but I was sleepy all day.   I drank so much coffee that I was THEN unable to sleep again.  I took a sleeping pill around 11, but that makes me groggy too, and I totally slept in.  Fortunately, I was scheduled for an event in the evening, so I just started my day late, and skipped breakfast.
Anyway, that's why I didn't get back to you:  busy taking care of stuff in ABQ, and then sleepy here at the Ranch.
Tomorrow I go on a hike to the Tsankawi pueblo ruin, near Bandelier, but less well known.  I'm joining a group of kids and their Ghost Ranch guide.  It was my boss' idea:  she is very encouraging of my taking part in events and getting to know the area and history.

Right now I'm logged into Tutor.com.  I end up making about $400 a month, which is nice, because I am going to be paying for the clutch to the car I was using in Norway.  It apparently gave out the day after I left.  But, my expenses were minimal while I was there, since the snow kept me from exploring and spending money.  So, I guess it evens out.
Mom called while I was in ABQ.  It seems she's not well again.  It's too bad, she looked so good when I saw her in April.
And, that's my news!  I'm sending a pic of the sunset from the other day:  I was sitting in my jammies, knitting and listening to an audio book, when I noticed a beautiful light in the southeastern sky that is my living room view.  So I got up to take a pic of that and then looked west and saw these amazing red clouds.  I put a jacket over the jammies and walked down the private drive to get past the telephone wires.  Every day is another stunning sight.  I wonder if I'll get tired of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment