Sunday, January 29, 2012

Well, I'm gobsmacked, too

Last week SOU hosted it's annual Jefferson County Scavenger Hunt.   It's pretty cool.   There are 2 levels, elementary and high school, and teams from the schools spend three days tracking down answers to tough questions.  The hunt is not just online (one section has a "bring-in" component, another requires print sources.)  It's not enough to get the answer, either.  They have to supply the source, and often two sources are required.  The kids really get in to it, which is also cool.

I was logged in to Lnet (soon to revert to its former name of Answerland) and had the fun of assisting three delightful students from Talent Middle School.  The first required print sources regarding the Pacific Crest Trail.  Apparently a segment that goes through Jefferson County is rated as "non-scenic."  I'm sure I could have found an online review, but in the TMS library the pickings were slim.  I sent the link to the PCTA online store, and suggested a tour through the camping and hiking books in the local library.

Next I listened to a 30-second audio clip of a jazz saxophone piece, alto at a guess, with a strummed background (oud?  lute?  guitar?).   From that we are supposed to derive artist and title of song.  I have no idea how to do that and provide source info as well.  It reminds of the days people used to hum part of a tune and ask what it was.  But at least then if it was in your aural memory you were off to the races.

Finally I dealt with the pet rock question:  find a 1970's pet rock in it's original packaging, with the care and instruction manual.  I sent a list of antique malls and thrifts stores in their area and wished them luck.  They told me I was awesome.

So a few days later I am talking to W, the Scotsman from my oncall library gig.  I tell him about the pet rock question, and he looks at me blankly.  "What, they pick up a rock and draw a face on it?"  I explain the phenomenon of fad marketing, and he continues to look at me in disbelief.  He says, "That's one that never made it across the pond...is this for real?"  I assure him it is, along with the trolls and Rubik's cubes.  Those he recalls.

He shakes his head and turns back to the holds he was shelving.  "Well, I'm gobsmacked."

Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment