Sunday, November 20, 2011

I know an old lady who swallowed a fly

This is one of those days that gets away from you.  I was insomniac last night, so I slept in, then spent some time cleaning up after last night's supper party (D had already run two loads) and after that puttered with various domestic and fiscal tasks.  I never got out of my house dress and, other than a few abortive trips looking for the Sunday paper, never got out into the glorious November sunshine.

Around 5 p.m. I decided that it was time to eat some comfort food.  The daylight was fading and the cold was increasing, which means it's pasta time!  I cooked up some macaroni, grated some cheese (sharp cheddar and parm,) chopped some parsley, peeled some garlic and loaded the press, and pulled out the butter.  I tossed the prepped ingredients into the drained macaroni and added salt and pepper.  Voila!  a feast for the eye and the palate.

I noticed the red blend on the counter:  Chateau St. Jean's Cinq Cepages.  It was very tasty, but being 75% cab sauv, it was not appropriate for last night's fish.  So it was our prep wine, and there was about a half bottle left.  I decided to uncork it for tonight's garlicky meal.  It was a perfect match, and I alternately sipped wine,  ate pasta, and read the Sunday paper (finally delivered.)

I reached the end of my pasta and tossed back the last of the dark red wine.....there on my tongue was something rough and dreg-like.  So I spit it back in the glass only to discover that it appeared to have legs and wings.  Gaaaack!  One of the cluster flies which has been circling around the kitchen for the last week!  Braaaack!  I ran to the kitchen, and started gargling.

Perhaps I'll die.

No comments:

Post a Comment