Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Moving the Chi

This was the last Tai Chi Chuh session for the fall term.  We do the entire practice, and then share a potluck.  As steward, I'm responsible for collecting class evaluations, so I had to show up, despite my throat.  Technically this should not have been a problem, as the main symptom now is the laryngitis, and you don't talk during the practice.

However, I was also at a work training session this morning, and the home front was pretty exhausting when I returned home.   The logistics of taking care of daily business were complicated by communication difficulties, and we ended up retreating to our separate corners and licking our wounds.

I did, however, find the energy to make a quiche and an apple crumb pie.  The latter was a peace offering to D (he brought me flowers for his offering, and went out for the apples.)  The quiche was for the potluck, and it was totally made up of leftovers and staples.  The crust was a leftover from the apple/green tomato pie I made 2 weeks ago: L's fabulous recipe makes 4 crusts, and since it takes 1 egg, there's no good way to cut the recipe down.  The filling included pesto cubes from my annual pesto production, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and, of course, the egg custard.  The whole thing was superb, and very pretty, with dots of red and green peeking through the yellow, white and brown top, cooked just right.

Baking is really the easiest way to be creative:  take what you have, substitute what you must, add in an unconventional spice or ingredient, et voila!  Uniqueness happens.

But I was still wiped out, and the drive to the class was disconcerting.  It was dark, the streets were crowded, and the bicyclists were invisible.  When I got to Chapman and Lownsdale Squares, the former Occupy Portland sites showed stark under the brilliant klieg lights.  The ginkgos' graceful golden fan-lined branches were surreal bits of glowing beauty, enclosed in chain link fences, standing amidst the pounded earth and cement.

I wondered what I was doing, going on my usual rounds while the economy crumbles and my own life is a microcosm of the larger disintegration.  But I got to church, plugged the meter, gathered up my quiche and paperwork, and went to class.

And, magically, it was all okay.  We stood sock-footed in the circle, eyes focussed on middle distance, quiet music filling the silence.  From the dark windows, headlights flashed the news that rush hour was still in force, but it was a distant intimation of the city.  Together we created a mountain retreat, arms and legs moving through platter, drum, ball, taffy, gathering in the energy, pushing it away, bringing it back.  I felt the familiar tingling warmth in my fingers, wondered if I would ever develop the "flutter," and then let that thought go:  what matters is the practice, the rest will come if it will.

And now I type while D and R play cards and Marc Cohn sings from Pandora.  Life is good, and there are so many forms the energy can take.  I just have to trust that if I pay attention, I will be supported by all of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment